Friday, January 8, 2010

Toy Test Drive: Holee Molee



Toy: JW Pet Company Tough By Nature-
The Hol-ee Mol-ee Extreme

Price: $7-12 (I paid $7 on Amazon.com)

Added: 2 Iams LARGE treat bones.

Hamilton is a power-chewer. In to EVERYTHING and with his mouth ALL OVER IT.

We're exploring what toys and items get him chewing, and keep him chewing....which is key to his enjoyment of a toy- and keeping his teeth OFF our shoes, furniture, and body parts.



I take the Holee Molee and put 2 IAMS large bones (small ones do not work with the holes in this size- I save the 'puppy' sized IAMS bones for his Puppy Kong) thru the holes with the 'knob' sticking out around the outside on two sides.  My husband likes to put the bone inside all the way- which interests him, but as he's still a baby- if he doesn't get a 'taste' of the bone quickly- he gets bored or loses interest.

With the bone 'knobs' protruding from the sides of the ball it rolls wonky which also seems to perk his interest. He lays down and manipulates the Holee Molee with his paws and muzzle, chewing, biting, rolling and pawing, all very good activites for his growth- and very good he's NOT doing them on us or inappropriate objects. 


As with all other items we WANT him to chew on, we refer to all appropriate objects as "Toy!" with a big, enthusiastic and chirpy command- and when he puts his mouth on us, or something he shouldn't, we say "NO!" and then offer him something he CAN chew on, with "Toy!" in that super-hyper-happy voice, and he's glad to oblige.

First impressions: I got the larger size, and was pleased with that sizing given Hamilton will be, well, huge. Right now as a puppy some of his toys appear to be big for him- but that won't last long. 


The rubber is smooth and not 'slick', which I like, with a nice 'give' to it, but good resistance and firmness, which will work for working his gums and jaws as he's teething.  The holes are great for a good sized treat bone, or a jerky bar of some sort. The smaller triangular holes would work for a narrower or smaller treat, but as soon as he chewed or nudged the treat loose of that hole, it's going to fall out and be on the floor.



Of note: I don't put 'messy' treats into toys like this if possible- meaning anything with basting, flavoring or oils, as I don't want those on my carpet, furniture, or clothing.

I limit Hamilton to 2-3 treat bones per day, so once he works these off, I do have to redirect him to something else....they are not a 'long-term' treat.


Ham likes to chew the bones out of the Holee Molee, and then bite, toss, roll, stomp and chase the Holee Molee around the room. It appears to be standing up to his aggressive mouthing, his SHARP baby teeth, and his slightly clumsy playing where he bats the toy around with his head and feet, often over-running it or landing on top of it while playing. 

The Holee Molee does 'bounce' a bit, but it's somewhat like a deflated basketball- it bounces once or twice and then 'plops' to the floor with very little rebound.

This is not a high-bouncing toy, nor one I'd worry about doing a ricochet with. I don't know if that would be the case with the smaller or odd-shaped products by the same name.

As an initial observation- I think this toy has longevity with Hamilton, and he will wear it out eventually- to be replaced by another of the same product. I will update this review after he's had more time to work, chew and play with it.  The other item in these photos is a length of rayon rope that we got at our local home-improvement shop, washed, and then knotted at the ends for him to tug, chew and play with.

(Note: I wasn't asked to review this product, nor was I compensated for doing so. I have a Great Dane puppy and as such I would like to be supportive of what products are good for him, and what products may work for other dog owners.)

0 comments:

Woofs. Ham's rating system.

  • Five Woofs = I REALLY LIKE IT
  • Four Woofs = I like it
  • Three Woofs = It was OK
  • Two Woofs = Meh.
  • One Woof = No, thanks.

Hamilton's family

Followers

 

Hamilton. Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved: Tatanjia McNamara :|: Email Taj